Pictures of Older Posts

www.flickr.com

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pissaladiere




So Des sent me an article from an Irish periodical with a recipe of pissaladiere and asked to make it. I was totally surprised as he never asks me for specific foods, except potatoes, of course. Pissaladiere is a traditional French dish. Besides, we have been getting tons of new onions in the CSA box.

I am using  Bob Red Mill’s gluten-free pizza dough. We are not gluten free but I try to be as much gluten free as I can, as I believe there is some evil in the gluten these days, specially the ones originated from GMO wheat. This dough is really good, so why not share the good things with our gluten-free friends?

About the olives: I could find Nicoise olives at Whole Foods but they are not the black or dark purple ones. So I bought another variety which tastes a little more tart. I am going to use both and see how it goes. Nicoise olives are supposed to have a rich, nutty, mellow flavor and served with the pits, since they are so small.

Pissaladiere
6 servings


Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil
8 cups onions, sliced ¼”, about 6 medium onions
3 garlic cloves, whole
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1 pre-prepared pizza dough, thin crust if possible
20 Nicoise olives
16 anchovy fillets


Directions
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat, add onions, garlic, thyme and stir to blend. Cover and cook until onions are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Uncover, remove garlic, mash them and return them to the pan. Saute onion mix uncovered until most liquid evaporates and onions are golden, about 10 minutes longer.
Prepare pizza dough according to package instructions. Spread onion filling evenly over dough. Arrange olives and anchovies decoratively. Bake until crust is crisp and golden. Drizze some olive oil before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright