Pictures of Older Posts

www.flickr.com

Monday, October 26, 2009

Kinpira (Burdock Root Japanese Style)




Kinpira (Burdock Root Japanese Style)



Ingredients:
½ lb gobo (burdock root)
¼ lb carrot (optional)
1 tbsp light soysauce
1 tsp sugar
1 ½ tbsp mirin
½ tbsp sake
1 tbsp white sesame seeds
½ tbsp sesame oil
½ tbsp vegetable oil
A pinch of cayenne pepper



Directions:
Lightly shave the gobo skin and shred gobo into very thin strips. Soak the gobo strips in water for a while and drain well. Peel the carrot if using and cut it into short and thin strips. Heat sesame and vegetable oils in a frying pan, and stir fry gobo strips and carrots for a couple minutes. Add all seasonings to the vegetables and stir-fry, stirring frequently, until gobo is caramelized. Sprinkle sesame seeds and cayenne.


You can find burdock root at your local Asian store.

2 comments:

  1. I adore kinpira gobo. I am always too scared to bother trying to peel and cut it. My mom makes my dad do it! I do occassionally make kinpira renkon since I can find it pretty cheap in Chinatown. Doesn't matter how much I make tho, my BF can eat all of it in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn, I was always afraid too until I decided to cook this batch. I used a vegetable peeler and it was super easy, the trick was to shave it over a bowl of water. Yeah I know what you mean, I should have reserved some for me before I put it on the table as I thought I was going to have none left! I love renkon too! I also love gobo tempura, yuuummmm, but that's too much work!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright